Saturday, April 10, 2021

Words matter...




 I recently listened to a podcast in which the woman talked about the words we speak. I was really challenged in my spirit to examine the words that I speak. Do they bring life or death? Build up or tear down? 

I thought, what if I went a whole day (hey, ya gotta start somewhere!) and did not say anything unless I could back up my words with Scripture? No idle words! It would force me to "take every thought captive" as Paul talks about... 

I was in a church service...probably almost 30 yrs ago... and a guest speaker went to the pulpit and just started speaking. "Grace and peace to you from God our Father." He proceeded to speak for several moments, and I quickly realized that he was speaking the beginning verses from one of Paul's letters to a church (take a peek at Col. 1!). He spoke them (the verses) so conversationally, it didn't seem he was "reciting Scripture". He was speaking as though he was reading a letter out loud, which of course, he was! It was so powerful and left such an impression on me, I remember it to this day. 

Makes me think of the verse I posted in one of the pictures. That we can be speaking to one another in Psalms and hymns and spiritual songs! Our speech can be seasoned with grace. 

What a challenge. I know it can be done! I can do all things through Christ, who gives me strength πŸ˜‡ I just know how that pesky flesh is!! 


Grace and peace to you from God our Father. ❤πŸŒΈπŸ˜‡

2 comments:

  1. I posted earlier but alas, once again I somehow deleted it. So, here goes again.

    1. I hear it’s better to do more listening than talking. Lord knows I try.

    2. If we could but do as Jesus did and each word would be gentle it would be a much better place. Words can cut, bleed and leave scars.

    3. My dad, like myself, can converse with just about anyone. I guess I’m just a talker. I don’t believe I’m a hurtful person but I’m sure I’ve done my share. I know how peoples words can wound and I have no intention on inflicting that on anyone.

    4. My mind goes in 17 ( or more) different directions. I don’t know why but I so wish I could slow it down a tad.

    4. Lastly, at this stage of my life, if I have a thought I must say it or ot goes into the file cabinet for an unknown amount of time.

    This is my confession. I pray each day for guidance and/or help me listen more. I cry out for all those who suffer. If I think I can say or do something to love on them it flows freely. I want each day to be more and more like Jesus. I surely have a long way to go and times running out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete