I have wanted to write about this topic for a while now. It's a tough one because it's a thought that is constantly being defined and redefined. I know "Whose" I am and I know He loves me, but how do I see myself outside of His lens?
We hear so much about "self-love" in our culture and "taking care of #1" (ourselves). Even at the beginning of every flight, the attendant will instruct us to take care of our own oxygen mask before attending to accompanying children. Seemingly counterintuitive; yet how can we take care of others if we ourselves are in danger? Who remembers the L'Oreal commercial that ended with the model saying "Because I'm worth it"?
So... what is a healthy view of ourselves? I always feel an internal struggle when I say "I deserve _____"... even if it is something good, like happiness. But when I consider the opposite thought (for contrast), I don't agree that I DON'T deserve [happiness,etc]!
So I look to the Father and see what He says. I am the apple of His eye (Psalm 17:8), His Masterpiece (Greek: poiema) (Eph. 2:10). God created us in His image, and He is Love. We are not worth-less... we are very much precious and valued. So much so that God did everything to redeem us back through the cross.
So yes, we have worth in God's eyes. Does that mean we are worthy of receiving good things from Him? Jesus came that we might have life, and have it more abundantly. Do we deserve that inheritance as sons and daughters of the King? If we say Yes, do we have that internal twist of conscience (that we're not worthy)? If we say No, are we telling Him that we don't believe the depths of His Love for us and value He has placed on us (to the extent of the ultimate sacrifice)?
(Now you can see why I've waited to write this blog entry!)
I come to two answers that my spirit, heart and mind are all good with... first, our mindset can be that of Christ, who, although being God, humbled Himself and took the form of a bondservant. We can acknowledge that we are wonderfully made, and that God loved us enough to pay a sin debt for us BY HIMSELF, yet remain humble and not self-aggrandizing (i.e., I DESERVE something simply because I'm that good) ; )
The second answer comes in the form of a song called "The Truth". (I'll try to imbed it but I'm not feeling particularly tech-y at the moment) : ) So here are the lyrics to the chorus and you can check it out on YouTube (Megan Woods).
Thanks for reading this far. This has been something I've wanted to get down on paper for a while and felt inspired. Let me know what your thoughts are! : )
No comments:
Post a Comment