Sunday, June 28, 2020

Obedience

1 Samuel 15:22

I've been thinking about obedience the past couple of days. A long time ago, when I was a very young Christian (about 35 years ago), the Lord gave me a word I've never forgotten. "We have been called not to a faith of feeling, but a faith of obedience."

Obedience is HARD!!! It is much easier to go with the flow of feelings! "Oh, today I feel so much love for the Lord... I want to praise and worship Him all day and being His presence all day!"

Another day might be: "Lord, I have so much on my plate today- it'd be great if You'd hang with me but I understand if You don't."

Or even worse are the days that we don't even think of Him and go through our day and realize (maybe even a couple days later when we slow down) that He hasn't been a steady presence in our lives through those days.

Such is living the life of feelings.

But to live a life of obedience... it gently demands an adherence to a discipline... to diligently remind OURSELVES to live outside of ourselves.

To focus on the One. To submit our hearts to Him and construct our days to purposefully include Him. Not because we have to, but because our hearts WANT to, and desire to live a daily life that is pleasing to Him.

"To obey is better than sacrifice."  An obedient child, an obedient dog... there is a submission of the will that precludes desires.

We can all give an (outward) sacrifice as the Israelites did. But God desired the dedication of obedience from their hearts above the (fat of rams).

We are stubborn. We are hard headed. We are independent and think we know our own way.

But His thoughts are not our thoughts... And if we "trust in the Lord with all our hearts, and lean not to our own understanding, if we acknowledge Him in all our ways, then He will direct our paths."

Obedience and trust go hand in hand. If you trust someone, you know that your obedience is well founded. Just think if you didn't trust someone. Would you want to obey them?

But He is the Lord of Lords... We can trust him with our hearts, and our lives.

Practicing daily disciplines is hard (in the flesh), but there is also a joy in knowing that your Lord adores you. He wants the best for you.  He longs for fellowship and relationship with His creation.

Obedience becomes freedom.

https://youtu.be/ahSp1QLLw5I


No comments:

Post a Comment